A recent visit to Sutton Local Studies and Archive Centre brought to light a photograph of the last Killick to live at Whitehall. Harriett Killick is shown alongside her niece and great-nieces, who later inherited the Tudor building. The image below is a record of four successive generations of one family who had lived at Whitehall since the mid 18th century.
Image courtesy Sutton Local Studies & Archives Service
Dated c.1914, shortly before Harriett Killick’s death at the age of ninety, this black and white image was taken in the rear garden at Whitehall. Helpfully the photograph has been annoated with initials and consequently it is possible to identify the people depicted in it.
Clockwise from left to right: Penelope Müller; Harriet Maud Müller; John Stewart Müller; Annie A. Müller; Doris Mills; Susan Mary Müller; Harriett Killick (centre)
The 1911 census confirms that Whitehall was solely the residence of women at this date. Harriett Killick was living at Whitehall along with her widowed niece, her two great nieces and two servants. One of the servants, Ann Baker, was in service for the Killicks for about thirty years and during that time she evolved from being a general domestic to a cook.
Penelope Noakes, seen here seated on the far left, was the daughter of Thomas Noakes and Penelope Killick. In 1869 she married John Caeser Müller from Prussia and they had five children: Harriet, Susan and John can be seen in this photograph, along with John’s wife, Annie, and their daughter, Doris. Doris, aged around fifteen at the time this photograph was taken, inherited Whitehall upon the death of her great aunt, Harriett, in 1959.
One of the Müller sisters holds a tennis racquet in the photograph and in the early 20th century Whitehall’s garden, which was much larger than it is today, had tennis courts and a stable. When Whitehall was sold to the London Borough of Sutton and Cheam, as it was then, in 1963, a large proportion of the garden was sold to help fund the restoration of the 16th-century building.